Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Me & Mr. Smith

My love of animals started at an early age. My first dog was a mutt named Mr. Smith. Oh how I loved that dog!

I remember mom making me a cheese sandwich for lunch and she would give me a Milk Bone dog biscuit for Mr. Smith. Mom told me later that if she wasn't watching, I would eat the dog biscuit and give Mr. Smith my sandwich.

Mr. Smith loved to chase anything with wheels. Cars, trucks, kids on bicycles, it didn't matter. The bus that would take guests to Skytop Lodge would pass our house. As soon as Mr. Smith saw the bus, off he would go running down the road, chasing the bus.

He was a lovable old mutt who was my constant companion. I don't know what ever became of my beloved Mr. Smith. I'm sure my sister would know, but I prefer not to ask her.

I'd like to think he's still in the mountains, chasing cars, buses, kids on bikes and enjoying his Milk Bone dog biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment