Looking at this photograph of the house I lived in from 1961 to 1965 brings back so many memories. We moved into this house shortly after I graduated from 8th grade. The upstairs window on the left was my bedroom, there was also a master bedroom and one bathroom upstairs.
The front door led directly into the living room. Downstairs there was a huge kitchen and great room and another bath. There was a large picture window in the front of the house that you can't see because of all the bushes. Lots of sunlight would come in during the day and make the house warm and cozy.
The property that was adjacent to ours has an old stone house that is really beautiful but rather spooky. On that property there used to be a fort and it was there that the last Indian uprising occurred in our area. Several of the area settlers were killed by the Indians. I think their spirits must roam around the area as I never felt comfortable there at night.
After my son was born in May of 1965 he spent a lot of time with his grandparents at this house. To the left of the house there used to be a tree that my dad planted on the day my son was born. The tree is gone, this saddens me greatly. I wonder why the tree was removed? I had hoped that tree would be there forever.
I remember sitting on the front porch with my mom and our little dog Chico. It was a nice neighborhood when I was growing up. Now all the houses are neglected and falling apart. Mom and dad would be so upset if they saw it now. Dad took great pride in this little house. He put in a nice patio in the back and an above ground pool with a redwood deck. The yard was always mowed and there were flowers everywhere.
We had a lot of picnics in that back yard. Family and friends would come and dad would cook on the grill.
The house has been sold, new people live there now. I wish I could go back home and sit on the porch and visit with mom and dad one more time. Mom and dad are gone now, but a little house on Brodhead Avenue still remains.
No comments:
Post a Comment