Ten hours later, one of my beloved Yorkies, fifteen year old Abby Doodle, my precious little girl died in my arm. I had adopted Abby Doodle when she was just eight weeks old and weighed less than a pound. She was my baby. I spent the night sitting on the porch holding Abby until morning when my husband could dig a grave for her and we could put her to rest. There are no words to describe the pain and anguish I felt (and still feel).
Later in the day I received another e-mail regarding this little girl in the shelter in Tampa. I told my husband, "no more dogs, I can't deal with this". I continued to receive an e-mail regarding this other dog, for five consecutive days. Finally on Saturday I told my husband we needed to make the long drive to Tampa, to the shelter to check on this little girl. It was almost like someone was pushing me to do this. He agreed and off we went.
We arrived at the shelter and were taken to her cage. She was terrified and wouldn't come near us. We were told she had been brought into the shelter along with her fifteen year old sister who had just been put down. Misty was ten years old and had an eye infection and ear infection and had been at the shelter since Tuesday (March 22nd) and it was unlikely she would be adopted, that she would probably be put down also. We asked if we could visit with her. They removed her from the cage and we went to a visiting area.
The moment I held her in my arms she became a different dog. She started kissing me and then my husband and turned into this happy little ball of fur. We put her on the ground and she ran around all excited to explore the area and came running back to us. We knew in an instant we had to adopt her. Unfortunately we couldn't take her home that day as they had to have her vet checked and we had to fill out adoption papers.
Three days later, a week to the day that Abby passed away, we were able to go to the shelter and bring Misty home. Misty is the sweetest little girl. Her personality is totally different from that of my Abby Doodle. Misty is a happy little girl and I know that she knows she was given a second chance. She loves her new mommy and daddy, her new home, and her new brother Tucker. Her greatest joy is to go out in the back yard and chase squirrels.
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't grieve for my little Abby Doodle, but I feel like somehow she knew that I needed this little girl to help heal my heart and fill the void she left behind. I can never replace Abby Doodle, she was one in a million, but little Misty is a dear sweet little girl that needed love and a home and I am so glad I could provide that for her.
One door closes another door opens.
No comments:
Post a Comment